[Critical Error] CreateDevice <- UD3D9 RenderDevice::SetRes

The splash screen showed up, but I wasn’t able to get to the log in screen.

Here are the steps I took before the error:

1. Opened Launcher
  2. Clicked Start after patching
  3. Clicked “Yes, Allow” after a window popped up to ask permission for Application Access

Here’s the full Critical Error message:

CPU: GenuineIntel @ 2592 MHz with 65387MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (7111)

General Protection Fault!

History: CreateDevice <- UD3D9 RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

Here’s a Screenshot! Please excuse my mess, I wanted to show how the splash screen remains.

How to fix: Try starting the client in the safe mode (the option is available in the launcher options) and then adjust the graphics settings to your liking.

1 Like

But to fix this bug properly I need to know more info.

1. Do you have a multiple monitor setup? If so, are you using any kind of monitor merging/mirroring/etc.?
  2. Did you manage to start the game successfully before the bug appeared? If so, did you change your screen resolution, reassigned your main monitor or did any other changes to the screen configuration before the problem started appearing?

Hello!

I do not have a multiple monitor setup, as I only use a laptop. No mirroring or merging, not even connecting to TV with HDMI. None of that. :stuck_out_tongue:

This error appeared on my very first attempt to start the game.
I hadn’t messed with anything involving the display, just started up the laptop and installed the game and launcher.

I’d go and test safe mode right now if it weren’t so late at night, I’m being told to go sleep!

I will post results as soon as I wake up, possibly in 8 hours.

Okay, so starting in safe mode fixed my first issue.

I made a new character to start bug hunting, but got curious after the update to see what would happen if I started without safe mode again. I got a new error!

CPU: GenuineIntel @ 2598 MHz with 65387MB RAM

Assertion failed: NewX>=0 [File:WinViewport.cpp] [Line:2343]

History: UWindowsViewport::ResizeViewport <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <-
UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

I will continue to use Safe Mode, and check on this every update. Is that ok?

What window mode do you use? Fullscreen? Can you try a different one?

I use Windowed!

Maximizing the window itself doesn’t give me issues so far.

I can only change these settings by going to the Options on server select screen, because options on the launcher doesn’t give me any settings to mess with.

Anyway, I switched to Borderless Window, exited the game, and tried to start again without Safe Mode.
Got this error:

CPU: GenuineIntel @ 2598 MHz with 65387MB RAM

General Protection Fault!

History: CreateDevice <- UD3D9 RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

So, I started with Safe Mode after that, messed with all the different resolutions, no errors there.